Points of interest
Anita Villalaz Theater
Built in 1931, was formerly the Supreme Court until the year 1996.
Plaza de Francia
Originally the main square of the walled city. Was designed by Leonardo de Villanueva and is dedicated to the French effort to build the Panama Canal
Esteban Huertas Promenade
Named after one of the leaders of the Independence. From this walk you can admire the views of the boats awaiting their pass to enter The Panama Canal, The Panama Bay, The Causeway and The Bridge of the Americas.
It was officially named Plaza General Tomás Herrera in 1928, in honor of national hero General Tomás Herrera who was raised a statue that is the centerpiece of this full of activity square.
Ruinas del Convento de Santo Domingo
Museo del Canal
Is housed in a beautifully restored building which was the office of the French Canal Company, the offices of the Isthmian Canal Commission in the United States and then, in 1912, the main post office.
Bolívar Palace and Salon
Is part of beautifully renovated colonial building Palacio Bolivar on the Plaza. Lucky visitors of the palace that now serves as Panama’s Foreign Ministry offices are afforded a water’s edge view all the way to Panama Viejo.
Compañía de Jesús Church and Gardens
The Iglesia de la Campania de Jesús and surrounding buildings were constructed around 1741 to accommodate a school and were later turned into a university.
The City Council meets in this white building, which was once occupied by the French when they started building the Panama Canal.
La Merced Church
Its construction dates from 1680 and is the only church in the old town which preserves the original façade when first built in Panama la Vieja.
San Francisco de Asís
As were many of the buildings in the neighborhood, the church was ravaged by fire in 1737 and again in 1756. Restored in 1998.